Friday, October 31, 2008

Culture Shock

The two preceding posts were the preface and introduction to my memoirs. You have now turned to the title page of Part One: Culture Shock. On the page you see pictures of Taipei (well links to pictures), a short poem, and a prelude to the next few posts.








The Sounds of Taipei


Hello, Silence my old friend,
When will I be with you again?
Kids and dogs, a battle raging,
Ice cream trucks that pick up garbage.
Street vendors sell “Da Whey,”
“Fix your screens.” Oh, how they scream.
These are the sounds of Taipei.

--May be sung to the tune of "The Sounds of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel





The first step of any cultural journey begins with culture shock. For me, a typical Westerner, arriving in Taipei meant that the differences in manners, food, technology, and lifestyles all sent jolts through my system. But the two things to which I had the most trouble adjusting were the population density and the constant background NOISE produced by the closely packed masses of bustling humanity.

2 comments:

murat11 said...

It's a rare occurrence, but the Modern Toilet restaurant leaves me speechless. Yikes: Duchamps got nuthin' on these folks...

Teresa said...

Murat, I really have a hard time imagining you speechless. I'm sure the words will come. Perhaps you will write an ode to ice cream dish commodes...